Services provided by Vitalant laboratories support health care practitioners who specialize in transfusion, transplantation and regenerative medicine. Among many services, our highly experienced team provides: patient-donor compatibility testing; advanced platelet and red blood cell typing and antibody identification; specialized coagulation testing; and tissue typing for stem cell and organ transplants. We operate more than a dozen AABB-, ASHI- and CAP-accredited laboratories across the country (Chicago, Denver, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Sacramento, San Francisco and Spokane). These laboratories include:
- Immunohematology Reference Laboratories (7)
- Histocompatibility Laboratories (3)
- Cellular Therapy Laboratories (2)
- Coagulation and Thrombosis Laboratory (1)
Together, our medical technologists solve some of the most complex immunohematologic compatibility cases, such as matching sickle cell patients with personalized rare antigen-negative red blood cells, and providing lifesaving blood and cellular therapy services to hospitals across the United States.
Vitalant’s clinical apheresis services provide expert care for treating a wide spectrum of patients across all age groups. With decades of experience in markets across the nation, Vitalant clinical apheresis services is your partner in transforming patient’s lives through:
- Evidence-based practice
- Medical director oversight, consultation, guidance and patient management
- Highly trained and experienced clinical apheresis team
- Operational cost management savings
- Physician/staff education programs
- Actively involved in research protocols and cellular therapy collections
- Comprehensive quality-assurance plan
- 24/7 scheduled, on-call and emergent-procedure coverage
- Procedures performed in outpatient and inpatient settings
- Quarterly monitoring reports
- Therapeutic Plasma Exchange (Plasmapheresis) (TPE)
- Red Blood Cell Exchange (Erythrocytapheresis) (RBCx)
- White Blood Cell Reduction (Leukocytapheresis) (WBCr)
- Platelet Reduction (Thrombocytapheresis) (PLTr)
- Extracorporeal Photopheresis (ECP)
- Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) Apheresis
- Red Blood Cell Reduction by Phlebotomy
- Cellular Therapies
- Mononuclear Cell Collections (MNC)
- Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell Collections (HPCs) (Stem Cell)
- Collections for the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP)
As close as the phone and often in-person—24 hours a day, seven days a week—our doctors work with hospital- and office-based physicians and technologists to resolve challenging transfusion dilemmas and provide unique blood products whenever they’re needed. Along with providing consultation, our physicians contribute to hospital-based transfusion committees, participate in grand rounds and lead the development and presentation of continuing medical education programs.
Services provided by Vitalant physicians also include supervising hospital transfusion services and therapeutic blood-exchange procedures, overseeing therapeutic phlebotomy programs and helping deliver lifesaving cellular therapies collected by our staff and processed in our laboratories. In addition, they direct specialty laboratories in immunohematology, platelet and coagulation testing, tissue typing, and immunogenetics. In one of our geographic service areas, they staff a hemostasis and thrombosis clinic and a regional hemophilia center.
Dedicated to always improving transfusion medicine and patient care, Vitalant hospital services provides physician, laboratory management and staff education programs. As our health care partners work to do more with less, we have placed increased importance on providing convenient access to high-quality continuing education programs that teach blood banking, professional development and patient blood management skills. The American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science (ASCLS) lists Vitalant as an approved provider of continuing education programs. Many of our courses include ASCLS P.A.C.E.® credits via online self-study training modules and hosted webinars.