One of these is responsible for this result:
- You may have antibodies from a previous COVID-19 exposure, COVID-19 vaccination, or both.
- You may have antibodies from a related common-cold coronavirus or other condition.
- The result may be a false-positive. This is less common, but if you haven’t been vaccinated and don’t believe you had COVID-19 or were exposed to it, this might be the case.
When your test result is 1, Vitalant will perform a supplemental antibody test to determine if the antibodies are from COVID-19 exposure. Supplemental results will display in your online donor account about 4 weeks after your donation. (Please note: donors who had a convalescent plasma apheresis procedure before April 15 will only receive the COVID-19 antibody test. Donors with lab-diagnosed COVID-19 with this test result are able to continue donating blood from which convalescent plasma may be produced to help COVID-19 patients, while the remaining blood components will help other patients with serious medical conditions.)
- Your blood did not have antibodies to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, or
- You had a false-negative result. This is rare but may occur.
- Your donation was incomplete and no antibody test was performed.
- Your blood couldn’t be tested because there wasn’t enough sample or for other reasons.
- Test results are pending (if it’s been less than 2 weeks since your donation).
- Your blood couldn’t be tested (if it’s been more than 2 weeks since your donation).