Time to Make a Difference in Memory of Officer Calvin Hall
July 31 - Aug. 31
Make an appointment
"Gotta go. Time for me to make a difference."
Pittsburgh Police Officer Calvin Hall spoke these words every day before he started his shift. He was all about making a difference in the community, and lived this philosophy not only at work, but also in his personal life.
Tragically, Officer Hall lost his life July 17 after succumbing to his injuries received during a senseless act of violence.
Officer Hall's family and colleagues want to honor his spirit of community and his "make a difference" attitude by encouraging people to donate blood in his honor at any Vitalant-Pittsburgh area location between July 31 and Aug. 31. The donations will save lives right here in our community, which has experienced an unprecedented blood shortage this summer.
At the time of your donation, simply mention to staff that you are donating in Officer Hall's memory or mention the group code Z0021100.
HOW TO FIND A DONATION CENTER OR BLOOD DRIVE NEAR YOU:
To find a donation center or blood drive near you, click on the Make an appointment button above, or click here.
The top of the page shows a list of our donation centers and blood drives for the next month (pictured below). Click on a location to highlight it, then press the purple Select button underneath to make an appointment.
OR, you can search for a location near you by scrolling down to the middle of the page and entering your zip code, mile range and date range.
If you have questions, need assistance, or prefer to make an appointment by phone, please call 412-209-7000.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR BLOOD DONATION:
- Must be at least 16 years old (16- and 17-year-olds must bring a signed permission form from a parent or guardian, if required by state or school).
- Weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Be in good general health.
- For your safety and to ensure a positive donation experience, make sure you eat within two hours ahead of your donation. Drink plenty of water that day and 24 to 48 hours beforehand. Feel free to help yourself to something to eat and drink in our refreshment area.
- Bring your ID—something with your name and one of the following: date of birth, donor ID number or your photo.
- You must wait eight weeks between whole blood donations.
- You should not be under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs at the time of donation.
Please refer to our Eligibility page
for answers to common eligibility questions. Or, call our Medical Help Desk at 412-209-7035 with specific medical questions.
We understand that not everyone is eligible or able to donate blood. Our Blood Science Foundation supports Vitalant’s Pittsburgh area in helping people realize their life-transforming potential by offering financial giving opportunities.
Learn more about Blood Science Foundation and how you can transform lives through a financial gift in Officer Hall's honor.