Thank you for your interest!
Vitalant’s Student Leader Scholarship Program has closed. More than 700 students around the country hosted a scholarship virtual blood drive and successfully collected over 2,400 blood donations. We appreciate all the student leaders who stepped up to volunteer and help patients this summer!
Scholarship virtual blood drive results are being reviewed. Email notifications with scholarship information will be sent to students in September. With questions, please review program guidelines and the frequently asked questions below. If you have additional questions, please contact your Vitalant representative or send an email to MakeAnImpact@vitalant.org.
Thank you for being part of Vitalant’s lifesaving mission. Because of members of the community like you, life doesn’t stop.
Student Leader Scholarship Program Guidelines
- The scholarship program period is June 1 – Aug. 31, 2023.
- All virtual blood drives and blood donations must be completed June 1 – Aug. 31 to be counted toward the student’s scholarship total. Donations made prior to June 1 or after close of business Aug. 31 will not count toward the scholarship total.
- To qualify for the scholarship, students are required to request a custom blood drive link by filling out the online form at vitalant.org/scholarship and host a virtual blood drive.
- Students will be provided a custom blood drive link to recruit blood donors and record their scholarship blood donations.
- To count toward the scholarship, blood donations must be made using the student’s unique virtual blood drive link.
- Completed blood donations must be made to count toward the scholarship goal. Deferrals and unsuccessful donations will not count toward the scholarship goal.
- Donations must be completed in compliance with the virtual blood drive process to count toward the scholarship goal. Completed blood donations that are not tracked by the student’s scholarship link will not count toward the scholarship goal.
- Vitalant account managers can provide virtual blood drive status updates.
- When the program period ends, scholarship recipients will receive an email with a Vitalant provided scholarship information form required for fund distribution to the student’s school.
- Scholarships must be claimed within 12 months of initial email notification.
- Scholarships will be dispersed to the designated college, university or trade school the student designates, in the student’s name.
- No scholarships will be awarded directly to an individual student.
- Scholarships are not transferrable.
- Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to participate:
- Be enrolled, plan to enroll or be accepted for the 2023 fall or 2024 spring semester for curriculum at a college, university, community college, trade school or other post-high school educational facility within the United States.
- For high school participants, student leaders must be planning to continue their education in the fall or spring semester of the next academic year. Full-time enrollment is not required.
- This one-time scholarship program is not associated with other Vitalant scholarship programs or promotions.
- All scholarship credits are subject to review and verification prior to awarding the scholarship.
- Students who have received scholarships in other Vitalant scholarship programs, and meet all program requirements, are eligible to participate.
- Students are responsible for verifying their eligibility to participate. Vitalant reserves the right to not pay the scholarship based on blood drive results and student eligibility that do not meet the program criteria.
- Scholarships will be distributed at the end of the program, after program results have been audited and finalized.
- Students should allow a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks for scholarship distribution processing and receipt of payment.
- Friends and family members of Vitalant staff are eligible to participate in the scholarship program.
- For questions, students may contact a local Vitalant representative or call 877-25-VITAL, option 3.
When will I find out if I earned a scholarship?
Students are encouraged to stay in contact with their account manager for regular progress reports. Account managers are also a great resource for recruitment ideas! After the program ends Aug. 31, blood drive results will be audited. Students will be notified of their scholarship award via email in September.
Where can I find my blood drive results and get progress reports?
Your account manager or another Vitalant representative can view and share virtual blood drive results with you. If you’re not sure who to contact, please call 877.25.VITAL and select option 3.
When will I get my virtual blood drive link?
You’ll receive your scholarship blood drive link in an email with instructions and resource links within minutes of submitting the form to start your blood drive. It’s a good practice to check spam and junk folders for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org if an email does not populate your inbox.
What should I do if I don’t receive my scholarship blood drive link and instruction kit email?
If you don’t receive your confirmation email, and you’ve checked your spam and junk folders, you should submit another request form. The first form could have been submitted with an error in the email address. Be sure to use an email you check frequently and make sure it is entered correctly.
How does the virtual blood drive link work?
To recruit donors, you must copy and paste the full virtual blood drive link to enable accurate tracking, unless you create a QR code (see below). Students should promote their drives and share their scholarship blood drive links through social media, email, phone calls, tabling, and personal asks. The donor’s email address is used to track their donation to the student’s drive, and the email address must be the same from pledge to donation. A 2-minute instructional video is available on Vimeo and YouTube. Watch it and share the link with donors so they know exactly what to do when they join your drive!
A QR code may be used to convert the blood drive link using the instructions in this document. If these exact instructions aren’t followed, you could corrupt your blood drive link and disable the link’s tracking functionality. A BitLy is strongly discouraged and should not be used to shorten the virtual blood drive link.
Do unsuccessful blood donations count toward my scholarship total?
Per the program guidelines, students receive credit for successful (completed) blood donations. Attempts, deferrals, incomplete and unsuccessful donations do not count toward the scholarship credits.
Can a donor give more than once for my scholarship blood drive?
Yes! Depending on the procedure, a donor may be eligible to give more than once during the scholarship program period. Educating donors about different types of donations, like Power Red and platelet donations, are great ways to support patients and accumulate credits toward a scholarship. Repeat donors must submit a new pledge before each donation to track accurately. You can find educational materials about the different types of donations best suited to a donor’s blood type in the Student Toolkit.
Can I donate on behalf of my own scholarship blood drive?
Yes! Students who are eligible are encouraged to donate to their own blood drive. Students need to follow the same process as other donors participating in their blood drive: they need to pledge using their personal blood drive link and use the same email address from pledge to donation.
Important Scholarship Details
Each student leader needs to meet the 25-credit minimum to qualify for a one-time $500 scholarship, and each student leader can earn up to $1,000 toward their college tuition.
Remember, once you’ve reached the first scholarship tier you can continue to recruit blood donors to unlock a higher scholarship award.
|Credits Earned||Scholarship Award|
|25 to 49 credits||$500|
|50 to 74 credits||$750|
|Donation Type||Scholarship Credits|
|Power Red & Plasma||2|