Because of You, We Can Fight COVID-19
Vitalant is collecting plasma from people who have recovered from COVID-19. Called “convalescent plasma,” it contains antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, which can be given to patients currently fighting COVID-19.* Together, we can save lives.
To be eligible, you must have had COVID-19 symptoms plus:
- A prior laboratory diagnosis of COVID-19, either by a positive nasal/oral swab test OR a positive test for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies requested by your health care provider
- Complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days
- Meet all other donor eligibility for an automated plasma donation
Blood donors are NOT tested for coronavirus. Do not donate blood if you are sick.
NOTE: Donors who receive a positive antibody test result from Vitalant or any other blood bank or community screening effort are NOT automatically qualified to give a convalescent plasma donation.
REGISTER TO DONATE PLASMA
What Happens After I Register?
- Based on your responses in the form, you’ll receive an email from Vitalant within 24 hours with more information on your eligibility to donate convalescent plasma. If you don’t receive an email within 24 hours, be sure to check your spam/junk folder.
- If you are eligible to donate convalescent plasma, the email you receive from Vitalant will outline any required documentation and next steps to get your appointment set up.
- If you are eligible, please reach out to us at the contact information provided in the email you receive as soon as possible so we can get your critical donation appointment set up.
If you have questions, call 866-CV-PLSMA (866-287-5762).
How Will Vitalant Use My Plasma?
The Food and Drug Administration is allowing the transfusion of convalescent plasma as an investigational treatment. It’s currently the only antibody treatment available for COVID-19 patients. Vitalant is working with hospitals to collect, process and distribute the plasma for treatment in patients with active, serious COVID-19 infections.
Additionally, Vitalant Research Institute is developing technologies to detect and quantify virus-fighting antibodies to COVID-19.
Learn more >
Where Can I Donate Plasma?
Vitalant continues to expand the number of locations where we collect convalescent plasma. We will provide additional information to those who fill out the form.
What Should I Expect When Donating Plasma?
Plasma is the liquid portion of the blood. A plasma donation only takes about an hour; however, with the medical screening and review of your health history, you should plan for about 2 hours total. We use a specialized process called apheresis that allows Vitalant to separate and collect only specific blood components—like plasma—while safely returning the remaining components to the donor.
Can I Donate Convalescent Plasma More Than Once?
Absolutely! If you’ve already had a diagnostic test to confirm you had COVID-19 and/or a positive antibody test ordered by your health care provider, completed the form at http://learn.vitalant.org/convalescentplasma and received your electronic donation ticket via email, you can schedule a convalescent plasma donation every 28 days (and up to every week, with Vitalant medical director approval!). To schedule your next donation you can:
1) ask one of our staff to book it before you leave the donation center;
2) book a regular plasma donation using our online scheduler, or
3) call 866-CV-PLSMA (866-287-5762).
There is an ongoing need for convalescent plasma to help COVID-19 patients and with each plasma donation you make, you can help more patients!
I received a positive antibody test result from Vitalant. Can I donate convalescent plasma right away?
We appreciate your willingness and desire to help patients battling COVID-19. Thank you! Donors with positive antibody results from Vitalant (or any other blood bank or community screening effort) must meet additional FDA eligibility criteria before they can donate convalescent plasma. Please review the eligibility criteria above and register if you qualify.
Are You a Patient or Family Member?
If you or a loved one are currently battling COVID-19, we absolutely hear your urgent need. Convalescent plasma treatment is a promising light in these dark times. Vitalant does not provide convalescent plasma directly to individuals. Please contact your clinician to explore the potential for receiving this treatment.
*COVID-19 convalescent plasma has not been approved or licensed by the FDA; COVID-19 convalescent plasma has been authorized by the FDA under an emergency use authorization (EUA); COVID-19 convalescent plasma is authorized only for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of the emergency use of drugs and biological products during the COVID-19 pandemic under section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 360bbb-3(b)(1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner.